[lit-ideas] The Philosopher of Ris-Orangis

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 22:26:19 EDT

In a message dated 10/10/2004 7:28:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rmorel@xxxxxxxx writes:
Derrida's son Pierre writes poetry under the nom de plume Pierre  Alfieri.
We audited an Italian class together at UC Berkeley many years  ago. At the
time his parents lived in Ris-Orangis, near  Paris.

----
Thanks for the info.

Now I'm curious. I wonder what kind of neighbourhood that is, and if Madame
Derrida is still there. For some reason, I picture it as a nice little
neighbourhood on the Seine, but possibly it's not (on the Seine).

"Ris Orangis" sounds like a meaningful name to me -- I wonder if it's
related to oranges (which don't grow in Paris).

Cheers,

JL

----

From an online source on Derrida:

"He breaks  the stereotype of the French leftist intellectual by living not
in Paris but in  a suburb, Ris-Orangis -- on the margins of Paris. He does not
spend his evenings  in Left Bank cafes. "