[lit-ideas] The Peripatetic Axiom

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 14:39:49 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 6/9/2013 6:35:05 A.M. UTC-02,  donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx
writes:
"In Popper's view, traditional empiricism  rests on a key and false dogma -
that there is nothing in the mind that has not  arrived there by way of the
senses. This dogma is not merely slightly but  radically mistaken - and it
radically mistakes the role of sense experience in  our learning about the
world. It even mistakes the 'character' of sense  experience."

Call me a thomist (I'm not) but I rather use 'peripatetic axiom' for  this.

The Peripatetic axiom is:

"Nothing is in the intellect that was not first in the senses"

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu"

 It is found in Aquinas, De veritate, q. 2 a. 3 arg. 19.

Thomas Aquinas adopted this principle from the Peripatetic school of Greek
philosophy, established by Aristotle [last name unknown]."

Aquinas argued that the existence of God can be proved by reasoning from
sense data.

Aquinas uses a variation on the Aristotelian notion of the "active
intellect" which he interpreted as the ability to abstract universal meanings
from
particular empirical data.

Cheers,

Speranza