[lit-ideas] Re: The Perils Of Teaching Women How To Read

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 10:33:28 +0100

On 26-Dec-09, Mike Geary wrote:

I've dreaded this day for years, knowing it was bound to come eventually. Teaching women to read led to giving them the vote and the next thing you know they're attacking the Pope. Physically!!! A Papal smack down right there in the center of Christendom. ...[W]e have something like 50,000 years of misogynism to account for. Seeing how easy it is to take down the head man, women are sure to start knocking all us males around. Take heed. ...

A fellow '(col)lapsed Catholic' writes:

For years I celebrated (particulary during 'Holy Week') the liturgical exercise known as 'The Stations [or 'Way'] of the Cross' without ever suspecting - until Mike's 'Boxing Day' message opened my eyes.

For non- Catholics (or those even further collapsed than I):

The Stations of the Cross are a series of 14 pictures or sculptures distributed around a church in such a way that a priest accompanied by accolytes (followed in spirit by the congregation) or individual can proceed in prayer and meditation through fourteen 'stations' depicting the following scenes:

        1. Jesus is condemned to death
        2. Jesus is given his cross
        3. Jesus falls the first time
        4. Jesus meets His Mother
        5. Simon of Cyrene carries the cross
        6. Veronica wipes the face of Jesus
        7. Jesus falls the second time
        8. Jesus meets the daughters of Jerusalem
        9. Jesus falls the third time
        10. Jesus is stripped of His garments
        11. Crucifixion: Jesus is nailed to the cross
        12. Jesus dies on the cross
        13. Jesus' body is removed from the cross (Deposition or Lamentation)
        14. Jesus is laid in the tomb and covered in incense.

Note particularly stations 3, 7 and 9. The arraignment of suspects after close perusal of the relevant scriptural texts is left as an exercise for the reader. (Most seem to have names starting with M, but perhaps the V of station 6 is also implicated.)

The theological implications are staggering.

Chris Bruce,
wondering as ever at this time of year
at the persistance of that old dispensation,
with an alien people clutching their gods, in
Kiel, Germany