[lit-ideas] Re: The Penguin Book of Classical Myths

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:11:44 EDT

Well, Corpus Christi was _Grice_'s college --  recall "Professional
philosopher and amateur cricketer" (The Times obit. of the  man). He played
cricket
-- but also football -- for Corpus.

--- Corpus  has a fascinating story and background in the classics.

Grice arrived at  Corpus straight from Clifton, Somerset.
His tutor was Frank Hardie, a  classical scholar --.
Urmson, Grice's friend, was another classical forte at  Corpus.

----

Grice (I was reading in Chapman) basically belonged  to the North Oxford
cricket club.
But also to others.

--- he enjoyed  the matches by the Oxford University Cricket Club, too.

On one occasion  someone was laughing at him because he wasn't wearing
proper suspenders (* -- or  'belt' the singular 'string' confuses me *)

-- and I recently contacted,  of all places, the HARBORNE Cricket Club, in
Warw. since that's in fact Grice's  birthplace.

* Chapman writes:

"He was most offended, however,  when
it was once suggested
that his trousers were held up by a
piece of  string."

Palma knows the anecdote

"Wasn't it  obvious, he demanded, that
he was using two old cricket club
ties?"

Corpus Classics is fascinating -- there was this  [Jewish-)German author
who was PAID by Oxford to THINK at Corpus -- but after  the "Phoney" War he
had to retire and eventually committed suicide. He commented  on Ayschilus
basically.

For philosophers, going to Corpus meant that you  HAD to swallow Arist.
Eth. Nich. regardlless!

Grice was president of the  Corpus Christi Pelican Philosophical Society,

and indeed, besides playing  football for Corpus Christi

he edited and published in "The Pelican",  the Corpus Christi undergraduate
magazine.

---- He stayed FOUR years  there in his alma mater, Lit. Hum. programme
being slightly longer than the 3  customary years of the other programms.

Cheers,

J. L.  Speranza
Buenos Aires, Argentina

In a  message dated 7/15/2009 10:42:23 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The author is Jenny March (Dr Jenny March).  The local lore says Oxford
University pays her to think. The inside cover of  her book (which I went
out
and bought pronto), says she's 'attached' to  Corpus Christi College.
Local lore is more fun I find.

**************Performance you need and the value you want! Check out great
laptop deals from Dell!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1223081934x1201714279/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D819