[lit-ideas] Re: The Ostnia/Westland Room

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:58:49 -0600

Many thanks to JL for his attempts to identify my Auden poem: thanks, but no
cigar.  I found it just a moment ago though I've looked for 2 or 3 years at
least.  It is section XV of "Sonnets From China".  My memory had mutated it a
bit:

                            XV

As evening fell the day's oppression lifted;
Tall peaks came into focus; it had rained:
Across wide lawns and cultured flowers drifted
The conversation of the highly trained.

Their gardeners watched them pass and priced their shoes;
A chauffeur waited, reading in the drive,
For them to finish their exchange of views;
It looked a picture of the way to live.

Far off, no matter what good they intended,
Two armies waited for a verbal error
With well-made implements for causing pain,

And on the issue of their charm depended
A land laid waste with all its young men slain,
Its women weeping, and its towns in terror.

                                 W. H. Auden (1938)

Every time I listen to our "leaders" talking about war, I'm reminded of this
poem -- and though I scrabbled and scumbled the imagery badly, still the
meaning and sentiment is there.  I shan't elaborate, if it doesn't kick you in
the gut, nothing I can say will.

Mike Geary
Memphis