[lit-ideas] Re: The Order of Aurality (ratification of fiction?)

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 20:16:10 -0700

On Mar 16, 2012, at 8:05 PM, John Wager wrote:
>  much to my amazement a third cathedral suddenly emerged.

When I was on sabbatical, I attended a conference in Rouen.  Two days of
papers, mostly in French, deserved some kind of reward, I thought, so at the
end I hied me off to see the real thing, that famous cathedral which Monet took
as a challenge.  I found it, but alas couldn't see it.  Covered in scaffolding
and tarpaulins.  Fair play though--the tarpaulins had pictures of the
cathedral's front painted on them...so you could see exactly what a poor
painting of Rouen cathedral might look like.

David Ritchie,
disappointed from time to time,
Lucknow,