[lit-ideas] Re: The Order of Aurality (ratification of fiction?)

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 04:37:10 -0230

Quoting Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>:

> T quotes: "This (I) form," writes Lacan, situates the agency known as
> the ego, prior to its social determination, in a fictional direction..."
>

> On the other hand, as Reid noted, children learn on the premise of
> truthfulness. If as children, we do not accept that the adults around us
> are, for the most part, telling the truth, we cannot learn anything.

WO: I do not believe that childrens' learning from adults has much to do with
trusting that their significant and generalized adults are telling the truth.
Children have few reliable methods for discerning truth and they know it.
Besides, they have more imp things to think about and cope with than truth.
What is more imp for the child's learning is that she have the desire to do as
the adult does because she desires the adult's acceptance, love  and community.
Mimicry for the sake of community is the thing. (We're not dealing with
autonomous agents, after all.)

> So there may be fictive elements to ego formation, but they rest on
> assumptions about the world being largely truthful. (Later modified by
> experience.) Otherwise there is no learning. And no civilization.

WO: At the formal operational stage of cognitive development, children learn
that persons can be truthful or not. I don't think that the idea of a *world*
being truthful makes sense at that stage or any subsequent stage.

Walter O
MUN

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2011.php