[lit-ideas] The One Drop Rule Lives

  • From: Thomas Hart <tehart@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 21:35:29 -0400

The old principle that one drop of colored blood determines one's ethnicity
seems to be alive and well. a candidate for Ted Kennedy's old Senate seat
apparently got AA benefits because her great-great-great-grandmother was
Cherokee. That's 3.125%, and it was sufficient for her to call herself a
Cherokee.

Given our origins in Africa, birth in the US, and immigration from various
parts of Europe, and sundry other places, I've always felt it only appropriate
to label myself as Afro-Slovenian-German-Irish-Native-American. You could also
say "Other" on the form, and comment "None of your damned business."

"All women are created equal.
Then some become Marines"

Katy Perry video for "Part of me"

Thomas Hart