[lit-ideas] The Old Days

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 10:33:08 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

The figure I had read was that by 2030 China would be the superpower (Niall
Ferguson, others).  That's only 20 some years.  American industry deserted the
country in favor of China and India, and we were left manufacturing useless
military equipment.  Digging a hole and filling it back up again only goes so
far, then bleeding ourselves dry waging war, presumably to use the equipment,
only that doesn't make sense either since we're developing equipment for WWII.
Niall Ferguson (who is over the top in some ways, but when he makes sense, it's
pretty on target) says the 20th century was the American century, and not even
completely then.  Japan was the first instance of an Asian power flexing its
muscles.  Most Americans still don't know how powerful China and India are.

But, there are many unknowns.  The pollution alone in China will cost them,
plus nearly a billion very unhappy peasants.  On the other hand, they're
sprouting something like a city a week to accommodate the peasants pouring in
from the countryside.  Their economy overheated.  And they're securing natural
resources in places like Africa, places that are beneath us.  They probably do
need our food, unless they go to Argentina and places like that or develop
their own breadbasket in their own country, much of which is ironically
undergoing desertification.  We'll have to see how it all shakes out.