[lit-ideas] Re: [The New Islamists

  • From: Thomas Hart <tehart@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 20:27:06 -0400

Actually I'm holding out for someone to explain the first chapter of the
Tractatus. The first sentence seems clear enough. Possibly even the second. But
I'm lost by the time I reach the end of the chapter. What on earth does this
all mean:

1 The world is all that is the case.
1.1 The world is the totality of facts, not of things.
1.11 The world is determined by the facts, and by their being all the facts.
1.12 For the totality of facts determines what is the case, and also whatever
is not the case.
1.13 The facts in logical space are the world.
1.2 The world divides into facts.
1.21 Each item can be the case or not the case while everything else remains
the same.

To start off, WTH is the case? Is he talking beer, whiskey or rye (drunk by
good ol' boys at the levee), absinthe, or what?

"All women are created equal.
Then some become Marines"

Katy Perry video for "Part of me"

Thomas Hart