[lit-ideas] Re: The Neutrality of Meta-Ethics (Is: The Anti-humanism of Analytic Philosophy

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 14:51:54 +0000 (GMT)

--- Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> the ill-sorted lot called 'Oxford
> philosophers.'

Very nice.

> To have a moral theory (to do 'meta-ethics') requires one to ground it
> in clear moral cases insofar as the test of any moral theory is whether
> it would countenance plain acts of wrong-doing or reject obvious cases
> of justice, e.g. Look at the criticisms of the standard moral theories
> (e.g. Utilitarianism). This (logical coherence aside) is the pattern of
> discussions at this level, and has been at least since Book I of the
> Republic.

My (vague, limited)experience is that there is no unproblematic moral theory,
at least when that theory is amplified - pressed to its very limits. I am
curious if anyone agrees and if so what are the implications for
philosophical discussion of moral theory; and if not agreeing, what is the
unproblematic moral theory?

> If you want support for the view that 'Oxford moral philosophy,' as it
> was once called advocates some sort of 'live and let live'
> licentiousness you should try to find the discussion in the Listener, in
> response to a talk Elizabeth Anscombe gave on the BBC. Her claim was
> that Oxford moral philosophy did not corrupt the youth, for it allowed
> them to do whatever they wanted, and that was not the way to corrupt
> anybody.

Since she was a hardcore Catholic, and Catholics certainly do not believe in
doing whatever you want in order to avoid becoming "corrupt" (or in allowing
people to do whatever they want), this must her little joke.

Donal

now.
http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/