[lit-ideas] Re: The Names of the Body Parts

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 20:55:40 -0230

Quoting Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>:

> Mike Geary wrote
>
> > Reminds of the the question I once asked my daughter when she was
> > little: "Why do we call a pig a 'pig' ?"
> > "Because they're so dirty," she said.
>
> I first heard this from George Myro, although it may be an old Chinese
> proverb.
>
> Philosopher: 'Why is this called a "cup"?'
>
> Child: 'Because it's a cup.
>
> The child's analysis seems unimpeachable.
>
> Robert Paul

I would say the child's analysis is somewhat impeared. That something is a cup
is no sound reason for calling it a "cup." It might just as well be called a
"krushka"  while remaining what it is.

Continuing to plum the berry depths of philosophical reflection for one grape
thought after another ...

Walter O.