[lit-ideas] Re: The Mumps

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 09:20:56 EST

In a message dated 12/21/2010 8:28:25 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

it is  counterfactually false, if Edward had not abdicated and outlived
her.

-----

Thanks. I thought you would stick on my typo, "Elizabeth III", hence I run
to correct myself. Let me check her utterance, by the way:

_http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=71698_
(http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=71698)

INTERVIEWER: Because I'm not in England, I don't really see it as much. My
only experiences with the Queen is when I'm in Leicester Square and I see
all  these people gathered there to see her car go by.

BONHAM CARTER: Well, she's very present at Christmas, because she has to do
 her broadcast, and we're pretty conscious of her, but it's mostly at royal
 occasions and things. I have a lot of time for the Queen, and I think
she's a  very natural person when you meet her, who does her job very well. And

ironically, I think she would have been Queen anyway, because Edward VIII
would  never have had children because he had mumps.

Formalisation:

"Ironically" -- as per "tragic irony"?

--- cfr. Grice's use of 'ironically'. "You can't say, "Ironically, that car
 has all its windows intact" meaning that one is not".

---- "I THINK" -- rather than "I KNOW"

"she" "Elizabeth II"

"would STILL have been Queen"

emphatic: "ANYWAY" -- or 'anyways' as Geary prefers, to emphatise the
ambiguity of historical paths.

"because"

------ Not a Hempel-Reichenbach 'causal' because but what Grice calls
'intentional 'because'" ("I vomited because to offend her")

"Edward VIII" -- the traitor, to many.

"would never have had children" -- never mind Wallis Simpson. Oddly, the
interviewer spells her name as "Wallace Simpson".

"because" -- in this case it IS the "Hempel-Reichenbach" 'genetic' causal
functor. "The rabbit is white because his mother and father were white, too"
 (Mendel's law), in a 'dominant' sort of 'white'.

"he had mumps".

-----

Etc.

Cheers