[lit-ideas] Re: The Modern World

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 10:54:00 -0700

Sometimes a piece of information becomes indicative of how things are going. I offer two candidates today:

From a speech given by the CEO of UPS:

The CEO used the automotive industry to illustrate just one of the problems with the current customs process.

"Did you know that the average North American-produced vehicle crosses the border more than seven times during production?" he asked. "During the journey, each vehicle faces a staggering 28,200 customs transactions. By comparison, cars imported from Europe or Asia to North America involve a single customs transaction. If we delay cross-border shipments by just a day, the Americas lose their proximity advantage over Asia."

From a story in our paper:

Big-name researchers are prized commodities for hospitals competing in the booming cancer care business.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon