[lit-ideas] Re: The Mitchell family

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2010 09:19:10 EDT

Thanks to Geary for input.

In a message dated 8/1/2010 9:36:45 A.M., jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx
writes:

"Born on  1 March 1928, in Ashland, Mississippi, the  Mitchell family moved
to  Memphis, Tennessee when Willie was just two  years old."

An odd  family: parents and children born on the same day.

-----

Must say I had read the above from World Wide Words, ed. Quinion -- and the
 proper credit was given elsewhere. The point, as Geary notes, is
anaphoric.

Good phrasing:

"Born on 1 March, 1928 In Ashland, Mississipi, there was Willie Mitchell.
His family (along with little Willie) moved to Memphis, Tennessee (rather
than  Egypt) when Willie was two years old." I can't see the reason why add,
"just"  two years old.

Speranza, Bordighera

-----