[lit-ideas] Re: The Military and the Maypole

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 17:42:33 -0700

A friend who dances and who has broken his foot sent me the following image:

Hi!  I just had to share this tidbit about the Jones Fracture and how it
got its name:

  "Sir Robert Jones described his own fracture of the fifth metatarsal
  in 1902, when he injured himself while dancing around a Maypole at a
  military garden party."

(www.aafp.org/afp/990501ap/ 2516.html)

Was it W.W.1., do you think that abolished military Maypole dancing?

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon