[lit-ideas] Re: The McCoy That Wears The Trousers

  • From: David Ritchie <profdritchie@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 20:50:57 -0800

On Feb 13, 2013, at 9:05 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

> 'trousers, 1840, see pantaloons. Colloquial singular pant is attested from
> 1893. To wear the pants "be the dominant member of a household" is first
> attested 1931. To do something by the seat of (one's) pants "by human
> instinct" is from 1942, originally of pilots, perhaps with some notion of
> being able to sense the condition and situation of the plane by engine
> vibrations, etc. To be caught with (one's) pants down "discovered in an
> embarrassing condition" is from 1932.'
>
> ——Etymonline.com
>
> —

May I recommend, for all the waiting rooms you may face, David Crystal, "The
Story of English in 100 Words"?  I have been enjoying this very short book.  It
mentions in passing why Bertie Wooster says, "What ho!"; early bards used to
get a room's attention by shouting, something a bit like "What."  Today's
alternative, "hello," is new and tied to telephone history.

David Ritchie, etc.