[lit-ideas] The Life and Times of Karl Trogge

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 20:28:13 EDT

It is my intention and this and the following 3,461 e-mails to analyse,
until he re-appears, the e-mails by Karl Trogge.

My hypothesis will be  that Karl Trogge = Chris Bruce.

----

HOW I DISCOVERED THIS. In his  last e-mail (so far), Karl Trogge signed
off, "Kiel, Germany", which is C.  Bruce's affiliation. I know how quirky lying
is. I used to sign on chatrooms as  Tanya Sperma, Tokyo, but once I did
write "Buenos Aires, Argentina" to have the  police called on me.

Anyway.

Which was the first e-mail by Karl  Trogge?

His first e-mail was an obscure request for clarification of the
'provenance' of Wittgenstein versus Grice.

June 14:

>Where does Wittgenstein sit in Grice's provenance?

          Sit in his  ass?

He wrote to posts on June 17. The second reading very otiosely:

"I  am referring specifically Wittgenstein -- and my query is about any
influence he  may have had on Herbert Paul Grice (March 13, 1913 - August 28,
1988), the  British-educated philosopher of language."

This sounded like a slap on my face. There he have this German reciting on
our face the birthdate and deathdate of an Oxford philosopher.
"British-educated"? My bollocks. Only low-class people get educated! (Rita,
"Educating
Rita"). Grice was _born_ educated. And he was _English_!, so how  cannot he
be "British-educated". Homi-Babba may be said to have been
British-educated. Grice was educated mainly by his mother, Mabel Felton. She
ran  a prep in
her house in Holborn and so we can say that Mabel was Grice's 'nanny'.  He
was later sent to Clifton, and then to Corpus Christi. He was later at
Merton. But by that time he was _more_ than educated.

-----

On one post he looked for the sympathy of Donal McEvoy:

"At LEAST! My friends' CHILDREN are fluently trilingual; and their parents
are fluently quadrilingual (as well as having classical Greek and Latin). I
 think Mr Speranza is attempting to pull our collective leg - we must
invite him  to try the other one (with bells on)."

Quadrilingual sounds _obscene_. And he never mentioned what _four_
languages he is talking about!

-----

On June 17 he wrote:

"My imagination is not working so well this early in the morning."

----- As opposed to... And since when does 'imagination' have to _work_.
Thought has to work, imagination has to play!

On one post I wrote:

  "I never met ANYONE who spoke TWO languages correctly."

and Trogge replied:

>Perhaps you should get out more often.

As if that would help! The more I get out the more illiterate people I find
 -- it seems the _wrong_ people get out.

He expands:

>your knowledge of German is insufficient.

What irritated me was his attempt to 'stick' to netiquette:

>Unfortunately this makes my third message of the day -
>so my remarks on Mr Speranza's remarks on Quine's METHODS OF LOGIC will
have to go unposted.

--- and he never posted them again.

>Perhaps in the meantime Mr Spreanza would like to re-read it and  rephrase
his remarks about Quine's opinion of the existential quantifier. (In  his
haste I >think he has come off the rails there.) Anyone else see the
problem?

Apparently not.

>(We have not included artificial languages in our discussion of
linguistic ability. Here I am sure many subscribers to this list are
multilingual. I
know - and can produce documentary evidence upon request - that  I am.)

What can this documentary evidence be?! Enough with what he writes that he
cannot speak English!

---

Later in June he wrote and quoted with the exactly rather hateful words by
Prof. Paul:

>I have not been a member of this list long enough to comment on your
"facetitious, factitious, and ficticious."

>from under his jersey he produces ANOTHER ball (yes our imaginary  player
has TWO balls; could there be a THIRD somewhere up that jersey - or  perhaps
>hidden in his shorts?). One he kicks high and wide into the (empty)
stands; the other he heads off the hand of DIEGO EX MACHINA, from where it
passes >through a bale of straw stuffed into a jersey labelled WITTERS - and
into the net.
>(It seems a pity to interrupt our imaginary player's ecstatic dance of
triumph to point out that he has just scored an OWN GOAL.)

Nonsense.

In a later post he speaks of 'smelly crap' (surely not a Germanism)

and adds:

>In those long- ago days when I marked papers, I would hand  out a
mimeograph (I told you the days were 'long gone'!) with a numbered key,

--- which has to be fictional. He doesn't sound _old_.

-----

In a reply to Geary, "Wird" post Trogge writes of 'the little old lady next
 door'. -- How can she possibly be the mother of a 2-year old Helen Keller?

"Now, the next time the little old lady next door pushes her Harley over to
 me to inspect because yet once again she can't get it started (it's her
own  fault, as I often tell her, for not buying a BMW) - when she asks what's
wrong  with it, instead of treading upon her sensibilities with my
heretofore crudeness  of expression, I can, after barking my knuckles in her
service
for the umpteenth  time, hold up in my bleeding hand the offending part to
her nose, and politely  and accurately exclaim." "The fasterixcking
fasterixcker's  fasterixcked!""

On 30th June he famously asked about his shirt?

"could someone please tell me what COLOUR it is?"

Which edition are you using?

Mine has it as the first entry:

In July he was offended that I failed to mention that the mouth is to eat,
and wrote:

>What edition are you using?

provoking the scold by R. Paul, "The economy one".

'Trogge' expands on what we all know:

>"Mouth ... I 1 The external orifice in an animal body which serves for
the ingestion of food,

This was in reply to his previous:

>Please DO NOT put words in my mouth.
>Thank you.

which had occasioned the reaction by Geary, "What do you want in your mouth
 instead? Or shall we put them elsewhere?"

Later he tells us:

>I am currently leafing through the 8 volume [!!!] edition of his  letters.

Is there such thing? (Nietzsche's). But what irritated me was the
subsequent:

>There is a very interesting comment about reading other people's mail  in
the introduction to that collection

As opposed to reading your own 'male' which is always fun, right?

----

On 8 July I started to feel offended when he wrote about

>your rather eccentric views on language?

I never knew they were eccentric!

----

In a reply to R. Paul he grows more and more incongruous:

>That was my mistake - I mentioned ASL. (It's been a long time since I  saw
the movie.)
>It may also be important that HK was not blinded and deafened until the
relatively late age of 19 months. (For the past few months I have been
watching  and >listening to a neighbour's child developing her language skills
-
she  just turned 2 a week ago.)

He went on to scare me:

>I have just this minute recognized a rather remarkable coincidence:  That
2-year-old child's name is Helen. (There is even an etymological connection
>between their last names, but I won't push that - the 'Helen' is more than
 enough.)

And his last post, so far:

"I apologize to the list for my careless wording and ESPECIALLY to JL
Speranza for my cranky response arising from my *complete* misunderstanding of
his post --Karl Trogge
Kiel, Germany
--"

All in all, I have enjoyed the company.

Cheers,

J. L. Speranza
   Buenos Aires, Argentina

**************Dell Studio XPS Desktop: Save up to $400 - Limited Time Offer
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222466512x1201463496/aol?redir=htt
p:%2F%2Faltfarm.mediaplex.com%2Fad%2Fck%2F12309%2D81939%2D1629%2D3)