[lit-ideas] Re: The Left Only Exists In Lawrence's Head

  • From: Brian <cabrian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2006 18:10:06 -0600

So there is little if any distinction, which is what I believe. For heaven's sake The New York Times calls The Nation - the flagship journal of American radicalism - a "liberal" magazine.

What I find dissonant is there has been talk on the list about people being called Leftists when they are liberals but where are these liberals? Let me give you an example: last month Ursula wrote how "grateful to Canada" she is and that she feels she gave her "kids the gift of Canadianess." But then she ended with "There is so much that is wonderful about America. But it's presence in the world today is harmful to me and mine" and not one person challenged that notion. Not one person on this list stood up and said hey its great you like Canada but I love America, and how exactly is America's presence in the world harmful?

Certainly an old-style liberal can want change in the country but still pledge allegiance and affection to it, while the Leftist is a globalist with contempt for red America's nationalist sentiment.

~Brian

On Dec 15, 2006, at 11:00 AM, Mike Geary wrote:

A leftist is a politically active liberal -- that's my distinction.