[lit-ideas] Re: The Julie Blues...

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2005 16:47:07 -0400

Ursula wrote: battered women. . . . had begun to view the world through a particular kind of specialized lens....they construed Sting's song "Every Breath You Take" (or whatever the actual title is) as an anthem of (or for) abusers.

_______

It's not exactly an anthem of love, is it? More like a morbid obsession, isn't it?

Sting could have called it "The Stalker." Note the unsubtle accusations in the lyrics (e.g., every smile you fake, every vow you break). Combination of wounded ego ("my poor heart") and frustrated desire for an unattainable object?

[http://www.lyricskid.com/lyrics/sting-lyrics/every-breath-you-take-lyrics.html]

Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every bond you break
Every step you take
I'll be watching you

Every single day
Every word you say
Every game you play
Every night you stay
I'll be watching you

O can't you see
You belong to me
How my poor heart aches with every step you take

Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake
Every claim you stake
I'll be watching you

Since you've gone I been lost without a trace
I dream at night I can only see your face
I look around but it's you I can't replace
I keep crying baby please

Every move you make
Every vow you break
Every smile you fake