[lit-ideas] Re: The Irish Slaves in the New World

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 12:16:20 -0700

The Wikipedia "read" is the one I'm familiar with, but when I read Omar's
article I thought it wouldn't surprise me if some of that went on.  British
kings had enormous problems with Scot as well as the Irish.  As we know
James 1 (I think it was) sought to solve two problems with one act by
sending Scots into Northern Ireland.  The displaced Irish supposedly found
living space further south.  Would Britain have gone to the expense of
shipping some of them to the New World - perhaps, if British aristocrats
living there needed workers - as Omar's article asserts.

Susan and I both have Scottish ancestry, at least we think so.  I have an
ancestor named Huston who came over at about the time the British garment
industry got a law passed decimating against cheaper and better Scottish
(Northern Ireland) cloth.   Many Scots gave up and moved to the new world at
that time - not as slaves but perhaps some as indentured servants.

A few years back I submitted my DNA to ancestry.com.  The first surprise was
that the family tradition that we were part American Indian was not
supported by DNA results - no Indian.

The second and more recent surprise is that they say I am 22% Irish.  It may
be that "Irish" is a broad brush that includes Scotland because further down
in their explanation they group the two - sometimes they group Wales as
well.  In books on genetics that I've read there is apparently difficulty
separating Ireland from Scotland - they can do it with people living in
those places today but perhaps they have more difficulty with someone as far
removed as I am.  My ancestors go way back in the "New World" and of course
there are few written records

But I may really be 22% Irish and not Scottish at all - that would be a big
shock, but it could account for my well-known pugnacious attitude.  J

For the rest I am 52% Western Europe (another indication of the broader
brush Ancestry.com is using today.  From ancestry information most of my
ancestors came from Britain; which of course is in Western Europe), 9%
Scandinavian, and 9%Italy/Greece.

But who knows, maybe some of my ancestors were Irish slaves - knowing the
way the Irish think I doubt that they stayed slaves long.  ;-)

Lawrence