[lit-ideas] Re: The Iran Charade

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 21:51:05 -0500

Exactly.  There was nothing rational in the decision making.  Oil certainly
entered into it, but the emotion of hubris, primarily, of our superiority, how
they all love us, how (puff, puff, said with thumb in mouth) powerful we are,
combined with absolute disregard for those dumb old A-rabs, etc. etc.  There
was nothing rational in invading Iraq.  Just like Julie said, people respond to
emotion, not reason.  All the news execs know that.

And Mike, I just hate it when you call me Shirley.

Date:1/18/06 8:25:29 PM Central Standard Time
From:atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent on:

AA:
> People don't learn from experience

surely some people do.

> and they don't think anything through.

surely some people do.

> Emotions got us into Iraq, now they're
> emotionalizing about Iran.

Who's the they "emotionalizing" about Iran?  What does that even mean?  And
how do you know that?  If you mean to argue that this administration decided
to invade Iraq for emotional reasons, I have to strongly disagree with you.
To the contrary, I'd say hard, cold, unemotional thinking about oil and
power got us into Iraq and is currently being applied to Iran.  The people
opposed to the war are the ones emotionalizing -- or, as I perfer,
integrating their emotions into their thinking -- not the goddamn Bush
militarists.

Mike Geary
Memphis