[lit-ideas] The Independent Moralist

  • From: "" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2014 20:54:23 -0400 (EDT)

How foreign can morality get? When we read of a moral decision in an a
country whose language we don't understand, can we _join_ in the discussion?
Habermas would say: yes, we _can_ and we _should_.

Morality and Language

It is slightly ironic that it's THE INDEPENDENT that's running an essay on
morality DEPENDING on language!

But I guess there is a point in the research. It comes from Barcelona, from
 what I understand, the capital of a notably BILINGUAL region!

I wonder if Wittgenstein would say something on this. As I believe, he
trusted there was some thing as a 'form of life', which is reflected in
language, and it may well be the case that those notions apply here.

On top of all that being discussed by O. K. and D. McE. in "Pitfalls in
understanding moral differentiations" there's the polemic amongst
philosophers.  Take two examples:

i. The Romans thought they were aptly translating the Greek system  when
they speak of 'mos' (the root of morality) as translating Greek 'ethos' (as
in 'ethics'). This important point is dismissed when the idea of a decision
being 'moral' is used in the title of the essays (reporting experiments)
being  discussed.

When "The Independent" retitles the essays being discussed as being an
issue of 'morality' depending on 'language', one wonders...

ii. Grice thinks that Hare is wrong and that 'ought' is NOT the keyword
moral modal. Rather, Hampshire was closer to the truth when he suggested
'should' was. Grice prefers 'must'. Are these all translatable?

The large man must...
The large man ought to...
The large man should...
The large man WILL...

and so on. The intricacies of the ethical and meta-ethical vocabulary are
so complex in L1 that for philosophers to even start conceiving the
complications when L2 comes into the picture are vast. And still, THE
INDEPENDENT's wording reminds one of Sapir-Whorf.

For the record, the references being discussed here seem to be two, one
online.

The main item is:

Albert Costa, Alice Foucart, Sayuri Hayakawa,  Melina Aparici, Jose
Apesteguia, Joy Heafner, Boaz Keysar. Your Morals Depend on  Language. PLoS
ONE,
2014; 9

----- where Boaz is affiliated with Chicago.

The second piece mainly concerns Boaz and is

Boaz, K. "Using a  foreign language changes moral decisions." Science
Daily. ScienceDaily, 28 April  2014.

None of the authors seem to have a philosophical background and  their
degrees and teaching affiliations are with psychology, rather -- whereas  some
of us would rather see the thing discussed not as per an allegedly  empirical
laboratory experiment but in terms like Warnock's "Morality and  Language"!

The references to 'emotions' reminds one of philosophers like C. L.
Stevenson, who, in "Ethics and Language" mainly stays at the 'imperative' level

of analysis of moral discourse (also adopted by Ayer, in "Language, Truth and
 Logic" -- moral decisions as yielding imperatives which are 'emotive' in
nature).

Cheers,

Speranza

------

In a message dated  4/30/2014 4:20:33 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Or  that 'the large man' might pull you instead.
A fairly large man,
On Wed,  Apr 30, 2014 at 9:30 PM, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/to-push-or-not-to-push-how-your-mo
rals-depend-on-language-9303510.html
"Would  you push a stranger off a bridge? How your morals depend on
language"
>To  clarify the role emotions play in mediating the effect between
language and  moral decision making, the researchers included a second dilemma.
In
their  alternative scenario, the lone man is on a different branch of the
railway  track, and all you would need to do to save the five workers (and
kill that  single man), is to divert the train by switching a lever. This is a
less  emotional action, and regardless of language, the majority of people
would  divert the train in this way (around 80%). The effect of language only
comes  into play when dealing with a higher level of emotion, such as
imagining having  to physically push the man off the bridge. In that unpleasant
scenario, only 18%  of native speakers would sacrifice the large man,
compared to 44% of those  questioned in a foreign language.>
The researchers fail to consider that  the pivotal difference, between the
case of switching a lever and the case of  heaving a fat man onto the track,
lies not in that the first case is "a less  emotional action" but that in
the second case there is more risk of putting your  back out.