[lit-ideas] Re: The Immanuel

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:11:19 EDT

In a message dated 9/29/2004 11:52:54 AM Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
> but  I suppose that if
> the Kritique of the Poor Reason had never  been so magistrally translated
> into
> English  literature
"magistrally"? how is this translated into  English?
Donal
Taking a cheap shot

---

I've seen cheaper. I was quoting Hobbes, but you wouldn't know that, would
you. Incidentally, I was hopping [sic] to be congratulated on that brill pun,
"poor reason" (for "reinen Vernunft") -- assuming a Sussex pronunciation,
sure.  -- Cheers,

JL

---

'magistrally'  [< from MAGISTRAL a. + -LY2.  Cf. Middle French, French
magistralement (15th cent. as  magistraument). (N.E.D. (1904) indicates the
stress
as  <Ngistrally.)] In a  magistral manner; authoritatively,  dogmatically.

1603 T. CARTWRIGHT
Confut. Rhemists New Test. (1618) 172

You haue put that  magistrally which Ambrose maketh a perhaps of.

1656  T.  HOBBES
Quest. Liberty, Necess. &  Chance (1841) 257
To assume..a licence  to control so magistrally..the doctors of the Church in
general.