[lit-ideas] The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

  • From: "Erin Holder" <erin.holder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 14:00:29 -0400

I just saw the movie recently, and wasn't terribly impressed.  However, they
did do a fantastic depiction of one of my favourite parts of the book:

"Another thing that got forgotten was the fact that against all probability a
sperm whale had suddenly been called into existence several miles above the
surface of an alien planet.

And since this is not a naturally tenable position for a whale, this poor
innocent creature had very little time to come to terms with its identity as a
whale before it then had to come to terms with not being a whale any more.

This is a complete record of its throught from the moment it began its life
till the moment it ended it.

Ah.....!  What's happening?  it thought.
Er, excuse me, who am I?
Hello?
Why am I here?  What's my purpose in life?
What do I mean by who I am?
Calm down now, get a grip now....oh!  this is an interesting sensation, what is
it?  It's sort of....yawning, tingling sensation in my....my....well I suppose
I'd better start finding names for things if I want to make any headway in what
for the sake of what I shall call an argument I shall cal the world, so let's
call it my stomach."

sly grin,
Erin
Toronto