[lit-ideas] The History of Analytic Philosohy in Russia

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 11:17:07 EDT

In a message dated 6/29/2009 2:34:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
wokshevs@xxxxxx writes:
Having just met 36 enthusiastic students, eager to  engage in philosophical
questions about teaching, learning, and  education.
Walter O
MUN
----

One way to test Walter ("Russian by disposition") O.'s conception of
philosophy as a profession (and a service one, in spite of his claims) would be:
would he find the students equally enthusiastic if he did not receive a
_wage_  to engage them in philosophical questions? (Cfr. Geary vs. Memphis --
on  'higher-education' budget for the city and the continuing education
curriculum  -- how _free_ can education be?)

----

MOSCOW, Russia. J. M. Geary, an American academician is interviewing a
number of Russian philosophers for his magazine, "The Memphis Metaphysical
Ministry".

GEARY. Philosophy is Greek here, too?

W. O.  Yes -- Cyrilic. When Aristotle died, the Cyrilic alphabet was
accepted in Russia.

GEARY. Did you have "Dark Ages" in Russia?

W. O. Yes. The Catholic church was never dominant, and we never had
witches, though.

GEARY. Was Kant so important?

W. O.   Yes. The first Russian translation of the Kritik der  Praktische
Vernunft, though, came out 3 years before the Kritik der Urteil.

GEARY. That must have been confusing.

W. O.  Yes -- but most academes speak at least one language other than
Russian here, so it's not like in the U. S. A.

GEARY. Is that meant as an insult?

W. O. No.

GEARY. Who is the most important Russian philosopher -- other than  you?

W. O. The fact that you are making the question offends me enough not to be
 willing to answer it.

GEARY. Is Russian a 'fluent' language, like English, or Spanish ('say hey,
Jorge'), for philosophical ramblings?

W. O. Well, the prepositional system is a trick, but projects shades of
meaning that Aristotle never viewed.

GEARY. Is the Latinate element important in the Philosophical Lexicon as it
 is in English? I for one, could not philosophise for three seconds without
 thinking Latin ('existentia', 'subsistentia', 'moralitas', to name a few
three).

W. O. No. The Slavic element is strong. The pronunciation is different,
also.

GEARY. Do you have diplomas in philosophy like we have in Tennessee?

W. O. Yes. Moscow doctorates a few doctors in philosophy every year. The
thesis are deposited (as we say) in the Moscow library for all to see.

GEARY. With the advent of the internet, is Cyril doomed to fail?

W. O. slaps Geary gently in the face.

Geary reciprocates the gentle slap.

        J. L. S.
            Buenos  Aires, Argentina