[lit-ideas] Re: The Guardian says we had better elect Obama, or else!

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 17:50:25 -0500

Lawrence, your reaction to this is odd to me (surprise, surprise).

There are two stances America can make w/ regard to the people inhabiting
the rest of the globe:

1) we are self-contained, striking both deeply defensive and agressive
poses; we trust no one, want and need no one's input; and any commentary
from the rest of the people on the globe should be met with suspicion,
immediate and automatic rejection, and a "who do they think they are?"; "so,
whaddya gonna DO about it?" mentality.

2)  Human beings are spread all over the globe.  Let's see if we can do our
part to work together toward a common goal of human well-being and care of
the planet that sustains us.  That doesn't mean accepting all global
reaction to our corner of the world w/out question.  But it might mean
listening to it, paying a little attention to why it's what it is, and
treating it as an element in our continuing self-reflection and growth as a
democracy.

I know, I know.  The second one is frightening, eh?  And the first
infinitely easier.  After all, no one put anything over on Matt Dillon, John
Wayne, etc.  Tough, unwillingness to hear,  and readiness to throw a punch
at anyone who's stupid enough to have an opinion is surely the best way to
positive and peaceful global interaction.

Julie Krueger
having watched this played out in preschools ad nauseum

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx