[lit-ideas] The Greatest Living Philosopher

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 20:32:44 -0400 (EDT)

Perhaps we SHOULD discuss Heidegger. Grice calls  him "the greatest living
philosopher" when he delivered the William James  Lectures in Philosophy
(and Psychology) back in Harvard in 1967.

He was  illustrating, "believe what I say".

"On the condition that you are  assuming I'm being sincere in what I say,
if I utter, "Heidegger is the greatest  living philosopher", what I mean-nn
by it (rather than merely mean-n it -- [nn:  nonnatural, n: natural), you
should believe that I do BELIEVE that Heidegger is  the greatest living
philosopher.

Or not, as McEvoy would say  (*)

Today, it would not make _sense_ to say that Heidegger is the  greatest
living philosopher (for obvious reasons, check Wiki for exact date of  his
material death).

Cheers

Speranza
* McEvoy was using "or  not" in ways that D. Helm did NOT found redundant
(he used his example with his  dog, "Are you staying in, or not?" (i.e. going
out). Etc.

In a message  dated 3/15/2013 4:34:56 A.M. UTC-02, cblitid@xxxxxxxx writes:
Martin  Heidegger's was made
with great care [Sorge]; always freshly Ground  [of Being]. (I believe
he got the recipe through Hannah from her  grandmother.)

And as to 'orange marmalade' ... I'm warning you: don't go  there