[lit-ideas] The Goldfish That Was Red

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 10:44:39 EDT

In a message dated 7/26/2004 9:52:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I wonder  if you can put blind goldfish in a goldfish bowl?

_Leo  Lionni_ (http://www.allenglishbooks.de/shop/waren163.htm)
... Menge. A colour of his own Parrots  are green, goldfish are red,
elephants are grey,
pigs  are pink. All animals have a colour of their own-except for chameleons.
www.allenglishbooks.de/shop/waren163.htm -  29k - _Cached_
(http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:UT7Q6y4K_BcJ:www.allenglishbooks.de/shop/waren163.htm+"gold
fish+are+red"+&hl=en&ie=UTF-8)  - _Similar pages_
(http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=related:www.allenglishbooks.de/shop/waren163.htm)

I hope you know, incidentally, that you have identified another 'misnomer'
-- not 'blind goldfish', but 'goldfish' simpliciter. Why people keep using the
expression is a tribute to the Romans, I suppose -- since their name for the
animal (first found in the Sea of China) was: cyprinus auratus.

Cheers,

JL

----

From the OED

goldfish (also spelled, 'gold-fish'):

A fish with golden markings found in the South Seas (obsolete).

b. A small -- described by  some as 'golden-red' -- fish (Cyprinus auratus)
of the carp family, a  native of China, commonly bred and kept for ornament in
tanks, glass globes,  etc. (see quot. 1802). gold-fish bowl, (a) a bowl,
usually a glass globe,  in which gold-fish are kept (cf. _GLOBE_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&queryword=goldfish&;
edition=2e&first=1&max_to_show=10&single=1&sort_type=alpha&xrefed=OED&xrefword
=globe&ps=n.)  n. 6b);  (b) something resembling such a bowl; spec. a place
or situation  affording no privacy (see also quot. 1942).    c. = _GARIBALDI_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/cgi/crossref?query_type=word&qu
eryword=goldfish&edition=2e&first=1&max_to_show=10&single=1&sort_type=alpha&xr
efed=OED&xrefword=Garibaldi)   2.

1698 FROGER Voy. 45

The Gold-Fish and  the Bonite continually make War with them in the Water.

1712 _E. COOKE_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-c3.html#e-cooke)
 Voy. S. Sea 342 The Gold  Fish is very beautiful.

1731 _MEDLEY_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-m3.html#medley)
Kolben's Cape G. Hope II. 192

The Cape-Gold-Fish  is about a Foot and a Half long.

1791 _W. BARTRAM_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-b.html#w-bartram)
  Carolina 44

The gold-fish is  about the size of the anchovy.

1802 _BINGLEY_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-b2.html#bingley)
 Anim. Biog. (1813) III. 86

Gold Fish are  natives of China..They were first introduced into England
about the year 1691.

1873 _B. STEWART_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-s4.html#b-stewart)
  Conserv. Force i. 8

A glass globe  containing numerous goldfish.

1904  _â??SAKIâ??_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-s.html#saki)
Reginald 115, I might have been  a gold~fish in a glass bowl
for all the privacy I  got.

1935 M. SULLIVAN Our Times VI. viii. 150

The situation was  the more trying because it was as plain to the newspapers
as to Harding and  The situatheir relations for several months were  carried
on in a goldfish bowl.

1941 _J. P. MARQUAND_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-m2.html#j-p-marquand)
  H. M. Pulham, Esq. xxxi. 304

She was..telling  Mrs. Jones.. not to let the maid pick up the broken pieces
of the goldfish bowl.

1942 _BERREY_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-b2.html#berrey)
& VAN DEN BARK  Amer. Thes. Slang §466/11

Gold-fish  bowl, the room in which the third degree is administered.

1951 Sat.  Even. Post 22 Dec. 44/4

The towermen in  their elevated air~conditioned goldfish bowls.

1958 R. STOW  To Islands viii. 158

It's certainly not  going to be easy for us, the white people. Living in a
goldfish bowl is the last  thing we'd do for fun.

1965 Listener 20 May 730/1 The White  House has always been a goldfish bowl,
but under Presidents Kennedy and Johnson  it has become an educational theatre
as well.

1966 _J. DOS  PASSOS_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-d2.html#j-dos-passos)
  Best Times (1968) iv. 148

They served  excellent beer in glasses the size of goldfish bowls.

1969 Guardian 26 Mar. 2/2

President  Nixon..disclosed his belief that progress towards a Vietnam
settlement would  come only through private talks... Serious negotiations could
not
take place in  a goldfish bowl, he  said.

(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/cgi/entry_main/00096576?query_type=word&queryword=goldfish&edition=2e&first=1&max_to_show=10&single=1&sort
_type=alpha&case_id=XGNX-2Pwtjm-2434#top)