[lit-ideas] Re: The Fully Feminine?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:40:30 EST

Who was it who said if women ran the world no one would die, everyone would
just get hurt really badly once a month....?  I have a little book of  womens'
quotations somewhere and it's in there, but ....little objects have
disappeared since my daughter's bedroom is on my dining room table....

Julie Krueger
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] The Fully Feminine?
Date: 3/19/05 1:58:25 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MN: feminist science fiction -- a imagined  civilization in which
everyone's position is: "Go to war? Are you nuts? A  child might get
hurt."

______

Just to get everybody's goat, I  note that Milan Kundera, in
_Immortality_ makes the point that, if women ran  wars, there would be
nobody on earth left alive.

It's all well and  good to stress nurturing femininity, but the shadow
femininity, the Medea  side, is quite operational too. Hell hath no fury
like a woman . . . well you  get the idea. Sure, in these lands of
patriarchy men start wars and women  endure them, but women are not pure
buttercups either.

I don't  understand the impulse to idealize women as nurturing
benevolence incarnate.  It feels as if one loopy pedestal is being
exchanged for another. That  doesn't even leave room for the darker side
of nurturing, as in Brecht's  _Mother  Courage_.