[lit-ideas] The Frame of the Reference

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 01:42:15 EST

Palma (whose surname means "palma")  says:

"I get annoyed --which is not the same thing- by the
tiresome repetition  of yes bullshit (mierda de toros, sounds better?) on
the "frame of  reference""

---- Perhaps you should start using the OED -- I suppose your Ducal
connection allows the connection, and start loving some expressions. We have to

admit, non-native speakers of English, that this OED is a MINE of WISDOM and a
true LABOUR OF LOVE. What other dictionary for what other language does provide

such a wealth of information?

----(Am I assuming, I hope, that your native language -- first language --
*is* Indo-European. I like this guessing game) -- Your country of origin starts
 with an "A"?

frame of reference:    (i) A  system of co-ordinate axes in relation to which
position may be defined and  motion conceived of as taking place.

1897 A. E. H. LOVE  Theoretical Mechanics i. 5

A set of lines of reference such as  OA, OB, OC with respect to which the
position of a point P can be  determined will be called a frame of reference.
Ibid. xiii.  360 ‘Acceleration’, and by consequence ‘force’, have no meaning
except as dependent on a frame; ‘acceleration’ means ‘acceleration relative to
a  frame’, and similarly with force.

1928  A. S. EDDINGTON Nature Physical World iii. 61

The particular frame in which we are relatively at  rest has a symmetry with
respect to us which other frames do not possess.

1942 SYNGE & GRIFFITH Princ. Mech. i. 12

Latitude and longitude define position on the  earth's surface; we are here
using the earth as a frame of reference.

1965 J. D. NORTH Measure of Universe xvi. 362
The triply-infinite set of inertial frames  connected by the Lorentz
transformations is often referred to as a new  ‘Absolute’.

1967 RODBERG & THALER  Introd. Quantum Theory of Scattering x. 260 The S
matrix we have been using..describes collisions in  an arbitrary reference
frame.
(ii) fig. and  transf. (Always as frame of reference.) A set of standards,
beliefs, or  assumptions governing perceptual or logical evaluation or social
behaviour.

1924 Sci. Amer. Dec. 401/1 This is the mind's ‘frame of  reference’ for the
facts of the outer world.

1933  G. B. SHAW Polit. Madhouse Amer. 16
If I may borrow an expression from my friend  Professor Archibald Henderson,
who is a mathematician, he had no frame of  reference. He had no scientific
postulates of any kind. He was in the air.

1936  M. SHERIF Psychol. Soc. Norms ii. 9
We shall give concrete examples to illustrate the  existence of norms or
frames of reference which are different from those that  are taken by western
civilization to be as ‘natural’ as air or water.

1949 KOESTLER Insight & Outlook xxvii. 366 In each pair two universes clash,
two self-contained frames of  reference, two hierarchies of values intersect.

1957 V. G. CHILDE Dawn Europ. Civilization (ed. 6) x. 176 But his [sc.
Montelius's] disciples and imitators have  clumsily extended his system beyond
the
regions for which it was devised and  have used it as a frame of reference into
which cultural phenomena in Central  Europe, South Russia, and even Turkestan
must be fitted!

1958  Listener 6 Nov. 724/1 There is  as yet no assured frame of reference
for comparisons between the scrolls and the  New Testament.

1967 A. ARENT  Gravedigger's Funeral xii. 192  That was the thing about
Jenny. Her frame of reference. She was  solid.

products.