[lit-ideas] The Forgotten Brunty

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:43:22 EDT

J. Evans writes:

>>a *son*?

Yes, Mike Geary knows all about it. Talking of other forgotten 'sons of the
soils', I was recently reading Daphne Du Maurier's _fascinating_ biography of

               BRANWELL BRUNTY

(the Bronte Sisters' brother -- who have now become for me the Bronte
Siblings. I know that Judy lived in York for some time so she _must_ know what
I'm
talking about.

This Branwell was the real son of the soil -- his father was straight from
Ireland, and he found the Haworth Parsonage too claustrophobic.

Du Maurier proves that most of the plots of the novels by the Bronte  Sisters
came indeed from Branwell's florid imagination.

Also the portrait of the sisters in the NPG is obviously by Branwell -- and
you can see a sketch of the figure of himself that he deleted from the canvas.
 Pathetic but endearing character.

Cheers,

JL