[lit-ideas] Re: The Final Finger of Fate

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 11:32:32 -0400

Okay, what is fate?  Personally, I don't believe in fate.  I believe in
luck and coincidence.

> Heraclitus in the old fragment 121:
>
> Character is fate.

And what forms character?

> Yet Bertie in _A Free Man?s Worship and Other Essays_:
>
> The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death,
> because they are greater than anything he finds in himself,
> and because all his thoughts are of things which they devour.

There's worshiping and then there's accepting.  The fool denies.  The
rewards of denial are great until it all comes crashing down.  Case in
point, among many: Iraq.  Maybe there needs to be a happy middle between
slavishly worshiping the inevitable and kicking and screaming against it.