[lit-ideas] Re: The Final Finger of Fate

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 22:22:27 -0500

A.A.
> I don't know what physics has to do with this.

Ah!  That explains a lot.

> Fate has a supernatural quality to it; it can do what it wants.

Maybe if you're a 500 B.C. Greek.

>Luck conforms to all the laws of physics.

So you think it's possible NOT to conform to the laws of physics?

 >> Fate has a sense of consciousness to it.  There's a sense that things are
 >> *meant* to be.  Even in the title of this thread there's an
 >> anthropomorphizing of fate.  Fate is almost synonymous with God. <<

Maybe to your mind, but not that of most post 500 B.C. people.  Fate means
'inevitability' to most of us non-Ancient Greek people.

> Luck is random.

And how does does random happen in a world of cause and effect?

>It's sheer coincidence, things happening.

Outside the laws of physics?  Like in miracles?  Do you believe in miracles or
do you believe in a helter-skelter universe?  What do you mean "things
happening"?

> I say I'm a determinist?  I never wrote that, you did.

You most certainly did.