[lit-ideas] Re: The Fallacy of Hasty Generalization

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 23:14:11 -0700

Hey!  Don't lecture me.  My fault here is that I forgot the name of the
fallacy.  Heck, I'm old.  I forget the names of lots of things.  Simon was
guilty of the fallacy.  Why not lecture him?

What? You want me to engage in affirmative action and give you special consideration? Sorry. There's no such thing as geriatric logic.

When I said, 'I think you confuse?,' I meant that it seemed to me that you
wanted from Simon's citing of instances something more than an empirical
generalization, which is all it can ever be (on either side) and were faulting
him for not making his set of instances into something like a logically valid
argument. That's how it looked to me. Since I'm old enough to forget a few
paragraphs here and there in lit-phil posts, I'm not afraid to admit that I've
forgotten just now what Simon's instances were meant to be instances of.

Robert Paul