[lit-ideas] Re: The Fallacy of Hasty Generalization

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 22:57:43 -0700

Hey!  Don't lecture me.  My fault here is that I forgot the name of the
fallacy.  Heck, I'm old.  I forget the names of lots of things.  Simon was
guilty of the fallacy.  Why not lecture him?

In order for your "I think Lawrence sometimes you confuse . . . "lecture to
have substance, you will have to go back to Simon's sampling: one terrorist
attack in London plus conversations with several Muslims and conclude that
was a valid sampling.

As it happens, I'm very familiar with inductive sampling from Aerospace (as
well as some other subjects I've been interested in from time to time).  All
the parts that keep our planes flying have been analyzed inductively.  We
established MTBFs (mean time between failure).  We schedule R&R (remove and
replace) schedules before the MTBF so that we are less likely to experience
failures.  And if a part's failure is determined to be catastrophic, we may
add a back up part or improve its reliability to some astronomical number
that satisfies the FAA that while failure isn't impossible it is very very
unlikely.  If you fly you trust in these procedures.  So no I am not
uncomfortable with inductive reasoning.  I was however uncomfortable with
Simon's inductive reasoning.

If you said, "You know, Lawrence, I think you're old and don't remember
clearly the names of logical terms that you were familiar with 45 years
ago," I'd buy that.

Lawrence