[lit-ideas] The Eunuch; Or, The Northumberland Shepherd

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 16:30:16 EST

It was Christmas day in the harem
New Year Resolutions

In a message dated 1/5/2010 1:44:50 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I  recognize that women have an agenda as uniquely theirs as do  men.

---- Usually, males have "new year resolutions", sic in the plural. Is that
 normal? Is that desirable. Don't all New Year resolutions reduce
eventually to  just one, "That I shall survive?". I mean, I'm watching on CNN
that
thing about  the CIA suicide coat, etc, and the cows getting a chill in the
global-warmed  antartica.

Yet, for Geary it's still _singular_ for "women" plural. To  wit:

"Women have an agenda [which is uniquely theirs]"

Poetry editor:

"Women have agenda which are uniquely theirs*"

[* Agenda, Latin plural. Singular: Agendum. A thing to be done. Hardly used
 by the Romans. Though often patronising their descendants with love for
'otium'  and such nonsense, they had 'full agenda'. Fate always found them
with _an awful  number_ [numerus horribilis] of things to do [agenda]. This
applies both to men,  to women and to the third sex: eunuchs.

It was Christmas day in the harem,
The eunuchs were standing  round,
And hundreds of beautiful women
Were stretched out on the  ground,
When in strode the Bold Bad Sultan,
And gazed at his marble  halls,
Saying, 'What do you want for Christmas, boys?'
And the eunuchs  answered...

ALL
Tidings of comfort and joy, comfort and joy,

JLS
   Bordighera