[lit-ideas] Re: The Essence of This

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 20:32:15 -0400

There was a book about the ways in which societies with religion were
generally more successful than societies without religion.  Enter stage
left:  Evolution.  Next scene:   No societies without religion.
 Something to do with everybody pulling in the same direction, I seem to
remember.  The pertinent question is, do we want what's good for society
or do we want what's good for individuals?   (Bertrand Russell took a
good long look at this and opened an alternative school, didn't he?)
 Usually can't have it both ways.

then there's the guy here at our neighbour institution, Laurentian
University, with the theory about the god-shaped hole we have in our
lives or psyches.  He of the god-helmet.

Read Ecclesiastes, yes.  And then read Gilgamesh, paying especial
attention to Siduri, the little barmaid.  Barmaids know a lot.

Ursula,
wishing all the Canadians here food and fun and fellowhip...
(what the hell, the rest of you have a great weekend, too.)