[lit-ideas] Re: The Emotional Background?

  • From: "Cassidy Dann" <cassidy_dann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 23:43:59 -0500

To me, it feels like we went from a time of national cynical self-interest and comfort--you know, Nelson Mandela is free and the USSR is over, so Dr. Strangelove has faded a bit, and now Clinton in charge, he's okay, a bit of a lech, but okay, nice saxophone, and yay!, the stock market is booming, too bad about national health care, and there's really not that much news worth our attention, that Newt guy is sort of annoying you know, and I wish they'd stop harping about Monica, it's fun time!, but there's not much news, oh maybe we can worry about the Y2K bug, ah that was nothing, but where is Chandra Levy and I bet that Condit guy had her killed, and

BOOM!!! BOOM!!! BOOM!!! BOOM!!! BOOM!!! BOOM!!! BOOM!!! BOOM!!! BOOM!!! BOOM!!!

People are jumping 1,000 feet to their death from flaming superskycrapers collapsing! The Pentagon was hit! A crater in a PA field! Osama who? Afghanistan-ahuh? Where's my money?! Where's my job?! Where my right to relax, to have privacy, to feel unregimented, to not compulsively look at the news!!!??? WHERE THE FUCK IS MY SLACK? Now it's war and Northern Alliance and Talibanana Splitting back to Pakistanapanama. You mean I have to work as a temp? With no damn health care and work as a temp!! Iraq is coming and Iraq is coming and Iraq is coming and Iraq is coming and NOW WE"RE IN IRAQ and will they use the WMDs? What WMDs? And they're not greeting us and the world hates us and how the hell am I going to pay my credit card bill???? And a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and a bomb kills a soldier who hasn't seen two decades of life and they blow up some golden nippled building where they sit on carpets and chant and take themselves way too seriously, and hey wait! So do I.

That emotional background.

Very nice. Should maybe be threaded through with one of two fucking stupid but fortunately all-pervasive mindless refrains: it's all because of that fucking Bush or all because of those fucking Liberals. God knows when we will ever grow out of that.

Sincerely, Cassidy Dann
Rappahannock, VA