[lit-ideas] The Ego of Grice's Apperception

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 16:11:28 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry if D. McEvoy feels wrongly about subject-line changes -- but I was
trying to focus on certain keywords. For example, he writes

In a message dated 5/15/2013 12:51:04 P.M. UTC-02,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
for we have reason to believe that it is  the conscious mind that 'flips'
the retinal image from its physiological form  and decodes it so we
experience the visual field as we do when conscious - if we  were rendered
unconscious with our eyes open, the eyes might continue to work  purely in
terms of
World 1 but what would be going on here would not simply be a  direct
reflection of what would appear to us were we conscious.

--- and I relate that to certain philosophical dicta and expressions.
Identity". As per Wikipedia on apperception:

Transcendental apperception is almost equivalent to self-consciousness; the
 existence of the ego may be more or less prominent, but it is always
involved.

This seems to be true of 'belief'.

The phrase,

"Believe the cat is on the mat" is not grammatical -- standardly
interpreted -- not as imperative.

The correct form is:

"I believe that p"
"You believe that p"
"He believes that p"

Similarly, to use McEvoy's example, with 'see'.

"See the red box"

does not make sense: "I see the red box".

In "Personal Identity", Grice claims that the 'ego' gets reduced to
mnemonic states.

At this point, Popper's triple disjunction (World 1, World 2, World 3)
claudicates (sic) against Monism. For while "I" may not be _apperceived_, but
is  a precondition for perception, that does not mean it lies somewhere
beyond World  1 -- "my kind of world".

Cheers,

Speranza