[lit-ideas] Re: The Downing Street Memos: The Hot Parts

  • From: Eric Yost <Mr.Eric.Yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 21:10:56 -0400

> From a memo dated March 25, 2002, from Foreign Secretary Jack Straw to Blair: "If 11 September had not happened, it is doubtful that the US would now be considering military action against Iraq."

Nice understated tone here. I wonder what would have happened to Iraq had there been no invasion.

Hundreds of thousands wouldn't die immediately. US government budgets would not be as red-inked. Terrorists wouldn't have a theme park to play their bloody games.

US/UK would continue to enforce no-fly zones. Saddam would continue to fire on the patrols and the patrols would continue to fire on his command and control centers. Oil smuggling would continue. Eventually UN sanctions would lose steam and be abandoned. Saddam would rule for a decade or so until one of his sons killed him and took over. Libya might have been quietly building its nuke arsenal all the while.

What would have been the END STATE, as the memo calls it?