[lit-ideas] Re: The Dolphin and the Shark: A Moral Fable

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:14:54 +0000 (GMT)

--- Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:
> It's called "Eroticon", and
> it's all about his lover and how he loved him. It's pretty embarrassing

No as embarrassing, I venture, as the emoticon.

> [Socrates] is holding something in his
> hand.
> Looks slightly phallic but it's not a phallus, more like a roll of a
> speech
> he's about to read.

As he is a famous extemporizer and pederast, I think you may be being
slightly naive.

> Demosthenes was supposed such a good lawyer -- that he commanded the  'laws
> of nature' (nomoi phuseos) too and once -- he had a sailing competition --
> convinced the tide to go up.

The ancients did not draw a very clear distinction between natural and
conventional [i.e. man-made] laws - the idea that law reflected nature
provided a justification for it, and for practices like slavery. This sounds
like an apocryphal story reflecting their 'natural law' ideology.

> Many Loebs are tr. by
> "barrister-at-laws" -- The one I'm reading now is, Aristophanes's Clouds.
> And  also
> Martial's Epigrams. The latter was tr. by Mr. Ker, barrister-in-law, etc.

Is his first name 'Wan'? I may know him.

> Dolphins can be silly. Always smiling, and certainly promiscuous.

Apparently they stick their thingies in each other's blow holes as a sexual
practice, not for long obviously as they'd suffocate. Though suffocation is a
human sexual practice we humans appear to have no equivalent, and we are
polymorphously perverse.

As to minks I don't know what they're famous for bar viciousness that would
make them suitable for an image for lawyers: is it that they drape themselves

over the rich in conformity to their wishes?

Donal