[lit-ideas] Re: The Difference Between Prose and Poetry

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 21:43:20 -0500

LH:
 Anyone today can pick up a commentary to Ulysses or Finnegan's Wake.

Yes, but one shouldn't do that until one is old and gray and nodding by the
fire.  Literature isn't for studying, it's for reading, it's not for
understanding it's for experiencing.  If it doesn't speak to you, move on.
Well, that's my approach.  I don't see any difference between Joyce's prose and
Wallace's poetry.  They both make me think that I can fly.  I don't care what
they mean, I just want to fly.

Mike Geary
Memphis.