[lit-ideas] Re: The Devil's Dictionary

  • From: "Mirembe Nantongo" <nantongo@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 05:40:54 +0100

Julie wrote:
> I'm no longer a professional cheerio remover, but a full
> time chauffeur.   No one warned me about this.

You know what being the mother of a teenager is like? It's like this from
Denise Levertov:

<><><><>
After I had cut off my hands

and grown new ones

something my former hands had longed for

came and asked to be rocked.

After my plucked out eyes

had withered, and new ones grown

something my former eyes had wept for

came asking to be pitied.

<><><><>

It's like looking at myself as I was at the same age  (just yesterday!) -
identifying with what I'm seeing in a remotely aching sort of way but feeling
alienated and (usually) totally unsympathetic at the same time.

>.....and then reading of
> goats tied to  chairs.

I can't believe you remember that!

All best, MN