[lit-ideas] The Devil of Scientism

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 11:33:43 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 3/27/2014 8:47:01 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Despite what Chris writes, I think it may  be doubted that many of the
philosophers who oppose "scientism" see that they  are merely opposing a
fictional view of "science" itself.

It may do to refresh this quote by Grice below.

The Devil of Scientism implicates that Scientism is a Devil.

"She is a devil".

Or

"It is a devil"

usually implicates that something other is NOT -- e.g. "Her sister is an
angel". On the other hand, the devil himself is said to have been a 'fallen
angel', which incidentally, in the plural, is the title of a play by Noel
Coward. So I never know.

Or not.

Cheers,

Speranza

Grandy, Richard E. and Warner, Richard, "Paul Grice", The Stanford
Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Spring 2014 Edition), Edward N. Zalta (ed.),
forthcoming URL = <http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/spr2014/entries/grice/>.

quoting Grice, "Method in Philosophical Psychology: from the banal to the
bizarre" (Address as President to the American Philosophical Association,
Pacific Branch -- repr. in Conception of Value):

"We must be ever watchful against the Devil of scientism, who would lead us
 into myopic overconcentration on the nature and importance of knowledge,
and of  scientific knowledge in particular; the Devil who is even so
audacious as to  tempt us to call in question the very system of ideas require
make  intelligible the idea of calling in question anything at all; and who
would even  prompt us, in effect, to suggest that since we do not really think
but only  think that we think, we had better change our minds without undue
delay."
(1975b, 53).