[lit-ideas] The Devil is in the Vegetables

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 13:50:09 -0700

Exotic R4 - differentiable manifold homeomorphic but not diffeomorphic to the Euclidean space R4 Exotic sphere - differentiable manifold homeomorphic but not diffeomorphic to the ordinary sphere

In physics:
Exotic atom atom with one or more electrons replaced by other negatively charged particles
Exotic hadrons:
Exotic baryons - bound states of 3 quarks and additional particles
Exotic mesons - non-quark model mesons
Exotic matter - a hypothetical concept of particle physics
In other fields:
Exotic pet - non common pet
Exotic cat - a breed of cat
Exotic dancer - a type of dancer or stripper
Exotic derivatives - a type of financial derivatives
Exotic species - species not native to an area

Passing by yet another "exotic dancer" storefront--two new ones have opened this year on the road I take to drive nearly everywhere--I thought, "But no exotic banana, because none is non-exotic." I guess I was practicing defensive driving. Me and the poet Basho.

Try fact-checking the statistic my students confidently quote--that Portland has more strip clubs per capita than anywhere else in the U.S.--and you'll run across an article about a vegan operation, Casa Diablo. Hence the post's title.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon