[lit-ideas] The Demosthenes Paradox (Was: Norman Mailer

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:13:51 EST

>"When the world speaks with one voice, it almost invariably gets it  wrong"

>No, "when the world speaks with one voice..." it becomes  utterly boring.

It's paradoxical too.

I think Mailer's point is obnoxious in that

(i) if the world speaks with one voice,

who is _he_ to say that it "almost" _invariable_ a wrong voice.

Or is the voice that it get _it_ (what?) wrong?

The whole idea is that right/wrong are two sides of the coin, and he is
saying that if there is uniformity in everything (as Helm is promoting) and no
clash of civilisations, who is going to tell THEM that they are _wrong_?

Cheers,

JL