[lit-ideas] The Death of a Rooster

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 19:31:13 -0700

Here is a story from down the Valley, about the death of a rooster who had become the town mascot in Scio (sigh-o), Oregon. I had been going to send the entire story, but, forewarned by Phil, I'm sending only the first three paragraphs and a link to the rest of the article which is told with only the barest hint of irony—touching and uplifting, illustrative of the mysterious bond between rural Americans (rural Oregonians, at least) and creatures that in other circumstances they might not readily befriend. It is a story that may be read aloud without embarrassment to friends, and even to little children, whether or not they have ever seen a live rooster.

Big Red a tale to crow about

Monday, July 31, 2006

LARRY BINGHAM

SCIO -- He was strutting down Main Street, heading home to the Scio Feed & Country Store to roost, when it happened.

Ambushed. In broad daylight. On the sidewalk between the True Value Hardware Store and Dr. Sally Cole's veterinary office.

A bystander saw the pit bull jump from the open window of a parked pickup and chomp the rooster between its teeth. The bystander yelled until the dog let the bird go. Then poor Big Red, Scio's town mascot, staggered to the vet's door and collapsed.

Story continues at

http://www.oregonlive.com/search/index.ssf?/base/news/1154314535140910.xml?oregonian?lcfp&coll=7

Robert Paul
Reed College