[lit-ideas] The Dead White Man's Guide to the Old Testament

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2007 19:37:52 EST

 "Sone he gert ordayn a fire

Of kiddes and brandes  birnand schire."

 St. Matthew (1350) 354 in Horstm. Altengl. Leg.  (1881) 136

Sone he gert ordayn a fire Of kiddes and  brandes birnand  schire.

Ursula:

"only regret I ever had was that they  weren't familiar with the Bible
stories. These stories make  their way casually into so much literature and
intelligent conversation, I wished that I had spent some time with them. Could
have
been remedied with a Children's Illustrated Bible (you really only have to know
the surface) alongside the Just-So stories and the Greek myths and the
Children's Shakespeare (the Lambs, don't you  know)."

Wiser words were seldom uttered.

I love my Lambs' Shakespeare -- ever more so after finding out that Mary
Lamb was a matricide -- I guess everybody (or every school girl) should know
that, but I was _amazed_ by this bio-criminal called "Mad Mary".

I loved Ursula's "you really only have to know the surface", or scratch the
surface. I was recently reading an article (in the NYT Sunday mag) to this
French author of this best-seller, "How to talk about books you've never
written". It was pretty intelligent dialogue. Every thing this author said
about
his son, "Guillaume" (a 15 year old) were gems --. And he expanded on how you
_know_ about books we never read.

The journalist, a change for the NYT mag, was pretty clever. One of her
questions was,

"If I forget about a book -- does it count as having _read_ it?"

The Frenchman avoided an answer there, but went on -- and loved him for  that
-- in explaining that he is *constantly* reading (and rereading) Proust.

Finally, a word of kudos to Ursula for her reference to

>intelligent conversation.

Precisely. And the border between intelligent and nonintelligent
conversation is precisely there -- in your knowing _how_ *much* you can say
before you
sound 'bishophric'. Cfr.

JMGeary:   A crime of one murdered, and all his kind punished  including the
murderer!
LJHelm: Exactly.
John McCreery: Not to mention Sodomah and Gomorrah!
Paul Stone: I love *that* story -- retelling it to little Matt every  night.
And then, will I ever *sleep* again!
Judy Evans: Don't make stuff up.
JLS: My favourite is the story of Babel
Walter O: Somehow I *knew* you'd say that.
Andreas R: Mine is the story of Lot's wife turning into a  pillar of salt.
Geary: Yes, that's a good one. But can't beat Judith cutting  Holofernes's
head off.
Ursula (summarising): My only regret...
Ursula's 'kid' interrupting:   baa...

----

kid ME. kide,  kede, kid, commonly regarded as ad. ON. <N (Sw., Da.
kid):OTeut. **jom, related to G. kitz, kitze from  OHG. chizzî, kizzîn:OTeut.
*kittîn
from orig.  **nn.  The  final -e of ME. de is not explicable from ON.  <N, but
the initial k makes it  still more difficult to refer the word to any OE.
type.]

The young of a goat (cf. quot. 1562).

1200 _ORMIN_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-o.html#ormin)
7804
e firrste callf, e firrste lamb, e firrste kide, and swillke.

Also, a faggot, or fasces (fascis) [Of unknown origin: Welsh cedys pl.,
faggots (sing. cedysen) is prob. from English.]

1350 St. Matthew 354 in  Horstm. Altengl.  Leg. (1881) 136
Sone he gert ordayn a fire  Of kiddes and brandes birnand schire.

[Related to COD n.1, perh. representing an OE.  *cydde (:*kuddjo-).]

Also, a seed-pod of a leguminous plant; sometimes used of  other
seed-vessels.
1722  LISLE  Husb. (1757) 95 Kid, a pod.

Also [? variant of KIT n.1] a small  wooden tub for domestic use; esp. a
sailor's mess-tub.
1769  FALCONER  Dict. Marine  (1789), Corbeillon,
a small kid, or tub, to contain the biscuit..distributed to the  several
messes.

Also [f.  KID v.4]  Humbug, ‘gammon’. In colloq. phr. no  kid  [literally,
"I am barren"  -- or, "I am a barren goat"]
.

1873  Slang Dict. 207

‘No kid, now?’ is a question often asked by a man  who thinks he is being
hoaxed.

1876 HINDLEY Cheap Jack 64 (Farmer)
One of these brother boys was well-known for his  kid, that is gammon and
devilry.

1880  Punch Dec., 'Arry.
My gloves was the cheese no kid.

1894  G. MOORE Esther Waters 18,
I should think the trial was at three-quarters of  the mile. The mile was so
much kid.

1899  R. WHITEING No. 5 John St. xxiii. 234
He do seem to enjoy hisself, no kid!

1916  J. B. COOPER Coo-oo-ee i. 14,
I tell you, Nelly, she's a woman as will blaze a  track right enough, no kid.

1922 JOYCE Ulysses 418
Got a prime pair of mincepies, no kid.

1964  Amer. Folk Music Occasional I. 91 True story, no kid.

"tp kid" , v. from

KID n.1 in sense ‘make a kid of’; cf.  KIDDY v.; also COD v.3] To  hoax,
humbug, tease. Hence <NOBR>,  one who hoaxes or humbugs or teases.

"to kid" -- of a goat: to give birth to an offspring, a  little goat.

1400 Master of Game iv.  (MS. Digby 182)
an e femell [the doe].. fe to kydde hir kiddes fer ens.

1528 PAYNEL Salerne's Regim. Gij,
Milk of a goat, not to near kidding time should be  chosen.

1611 COTGR., Chevreter,
to kid, or bring forth yong kids. Ibid., Chevreté, kidded, fallen as a young
kid.

1614 MARKHAM Cheap Husb. IV. v. (1668) 98
Goats above all other cattle are troubled with  hardness in kidding.

1756  Phil. Trans. XLIX. 802
They found the goat was kidding by its cries.

1842 MARRYAT Masterman Ready II. 72
He had brought with him the other goat, which had  kidded during the storm.