[lit-ideas] The Dead White Man's Guide to the Graeco-Roman Classics

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 20:57:07 EST

Including Ganymede.

                             "Atlas, 33 × 26 inches."
                                                         OED

                                     Atlas moth (Saturnia  Atlas), a very
large foreign moth.

"The dead white man is dead"
                    graffito found in M. Daly's seminar room -- (toilet room)

>there's those Great Books!
>I need to read them.  One and  all.
>What say ye, O Dead White  Men,
J. M. Geary, "Dead White Man: A [sic] Eulogy.

While Riccardo is helping Geary out -- he can be a zombie, Riccardo, but
let's hope he helps this time.

-- and Geary is thus busy, let's concentrate on what "O Dead White Men"  have
to say about

         scroll down

                        scroll down

    ATLAS -- after all, this is the e-mail address of J. M.  Geary who's
saying O Dead White Men have _nothing_ in them great books to say  about
"Atlas".

ATLAS, pronounced /aetl@s/

from the Latin word, "Atlas", genitive form, "Atlantem", hence stem in 'nt',
ultimately from the Greek word, "Atlas", genitive  "Atlanta" (stem thus in
"nt"). Of one of the older [than what? JLS] family of  gods, especially
"Charles
[Carolus] Atlas", who held up the pillars of the  Universe, and also of the
mountain in Libya that was regarded as supporting the  heavens.
["You call me "Carolus Atlas"? I'll call you J. L. Spermanza!"]
"One who supports or sustains a great burden -- such as a mountain a Libya --

1589 NASHE in Greene's Menaph.  Ded. (Arb.) 17,

I dare commend him to all that know him, as the  Atlas of Poetry. [Problem is
that all that know him  already _know_ -- you should commend him to all that
_not_ know him. JLS]

1618  Barneveld's Apol. Civb,

You make yourself the Atlas, and sustainer of the  whole state of ...
Holland.

       [Hence the expression, "The  Hook[er] of Holland. JLS]

1883  M. HOWLAND in Harper's Mag. Mar. 598/1
We brokers are the Atlases that bear  the world upon our shoulders.
Cfr. plural of Atlas,  ATLANTES (cfr.  Spermanzai).
The uppermost cervical vertebra, which supports the  skull, being articulated
above with the occipital bone. (So in Greek,  Hippocrates, Galenos.)

1699 Phil. Trans. XXI. 180
The Union by the atlas is not so firm and compact  as in the other vertebræ.

1842  E. WILSON Anat. Vade M. 9
The atlas is a simple ring of bone, without body,  and composed of arches and
processes.
Also, a collection of maps in a volume.  This derives from a pornographic
representation of  naked Atlas supporting the mountain of Lybia -- represented
as
a naked  [African] woman -- placed as a frontispiece to early works of this
kind, and to  have been first used by Gerardus Mercator in the 16th century of
our era.

1636 Atlas; or a  Geographic Description of the World, by Gerard Mercator and
John Hondt, with  illustration by John Hondt.

1641 EVELYN Mem. (1857) I. 28
Visited the famous Hondius and Bleaw's shop, to buy  the atlas

1729  FLAMSTEED Atlas Alestis.

1812  _WOODHOUSE_
(http://0-dictionary.oed.com.csulib.ctstateu.edu/help/bib/oed2-w3.html#woodhouse)
  Astron. ix. 63
Celestial Atlases also, or maps of the Heavens.
A similar volume containing illustrative plates,  large engravings, etc., or
the conspectus of any subject arranged in tabular  form; e.g. ‘an atlas of
anatomical plates,’ ‘an ethnographical atlas.’

1875 FORTNUM Maiolica vi. 53
The details of all these methods are illustrated on  the 3rd table of his
Atlas of plates.
A large square folio resembling a volume of maps; also called  atlas-folio.
A large size of drawing-paper.

1712 Act 10 Anne in Lond. Gaz. No. 5018/3
For all Paper called Atlas fine 16s. per  Ream, Atlas ordinary 8s.

1879 SPON Workshop Rec. 1, Atlas, 33 × 26  inches.
Atlas beetle, a gigantic olive-green lamellicorn  beetle (Chalcosoma Atlas),
found in the East;
Atlas moth (Saturnia Atlas), a very large  foreign moth.
1649 DRUMMOND  OF HAWTHORNDEN Wks. (1711) 3/2
That Atlas-like it seem'd the heaven they beared.
1868  WOOD Homes without H. xiv. 280
That magnificent insect the Atlas Moth.

Next we should trace all the etymythological references to Atlas in Hesiod,
Ovid, and the rest of the white dead men.

Note that Atlas, being a god, is immortal